Facebook is one famous and most admirable social media platform when it comes to connecting with a friend or building up a strong and extensive network. A well-liked platform where you can post, share with friends, join groups and communities, show interest, and even search for jobs. But keeping your profile public lets the unknown people access your data. Thinking about the privacy of the profile that contains so much information, photos, and data about is a great way to handle the profile. You can alter the level of privacy for specific elements of the site such as how you're found and contacted on the site, which can see your posts, and even retroactively limit the audience of your past posts. Here’s everything you need to do for making your profile private so that no unauthorized individual can access your data.
How to make your Facebook private on the desktop?
- Go to Facebook.com
- Log into your account using the email address and password associated with your account.
- Once on your news feed, which acts as your home screen, navigate to the arrow in the upper right-hand corner of the screen
- Click on it to reveal a drop-down menu of options.
- Scroll down until you locate the "Settings" tab
- Click on settings
- On the left-hand side of your screen, you'll see a long list of menu options.
- Locate "Privacy," which should appear as the fourth item down from the top
- Click on it to launch your privacy settings on the right-hand side of the screen.
- Note that Facebook allows you to modify your privacy settings for individual website features.
- To change a particular privacy element, click the "Edit" option to the far right of each section.
- This will expand the section and allow you to choose who, if anyone, sees the relevant information.
- To keep anyone from seeing it, click on "Only me" under "Who should see this?"
- You can make your Facebook even more private by changing who can tag you in posts, who can post on your Timeline, and who can share the posts you make to their profiles.
- The options for these can be changed as above, though they're found under the "Timeline and Tagging" section on the left-hand side of the screen, just below the "Security" option.
How to make your Facebook private on mobile?
- Locate and tap the Facebook app icon on your phone's home screen.
- Scroll until you reach the "Settings and Privacy" section.
- Click on "Settings and Privacy"
- Select "Privacy shortcuts," which will appear beneath it, to customize your privacy options.
- On the "Privacy shortcuts" screen, you'll see a list of options underneath the "Privacy" header.
- Click the bottom option, "See more privacy settings."
- This will launch the screen in which you can review and change your current settings.
- To change who can see your activity including future posts, past posts, as well as people, pages, and lists you follow
- Click on the relevant option under "Your activity."
- In the dropdown menu that appears, change your option to "Only me" so that it is completely private.
- Repeat the above step for each of the options under "How people can find and contact you" to complete the privatization of your Facebook information.
- Note that you can also manage your profile to make your birthday, relationships, and other profile information private as well under the "Manage your profile" section on the "Privacy settings" screen.